Latin lesson time!

I.e. or e.g.: what do they mean and when do you use them?

I feel that this is something that should have been taught in high school and not in graduate class. I will admit that throughout most of grade school my nose was in a book and I did not pay that much attention to my teachers. However, they always used my papers as examples and praised my work. I look back at some of my reports and they are littered with grammatical errors that I should have known at that age and that should have been corrected by my teachers. I digress again in a critique of the education system, I apologize.

Anyway: i.e. and e.g.

Both are Latin abbreviations that set off a separate clause within a clause. Almost like interrupting your self to explain what you mean in greater detail. When speaking its weird to say i.e. or e.g. to set off an explanation, since they are writing tools, even in writing they can be awkward.

I.e. abbreviates the Latin phrase id est, which means that is. E.g. abbreviates exempli gratia, which means for example. From here its a little easier to remember. E.g. sets of an example (e.g. this parenthetical and the following). A better example: I enjoying hunting zombies with a variety of unusual weapons (e.g. a potatoe gun, a street sign post, or a chainsaw that replaced my arm). I.e. sets of a limited list, clarifying what you mean and expanding a general statement. For example: I enjoy hunting zombies when I have the advantage (i.e. from a tower or a tank).

Spell checker also does not like my spelling of potato (i.e. potatoe).

Comments